Thursday, October 06, 2011

So, Here's the Thing, We're non-Begging Beggars




Thanks to all of you who have shared your stories of how you found Joy after a difficult season in your life. Keep sending them in; I love hearing them, and there is plenty of room for more!

Here's one of the things I and my walking buddy have been talking about recently.  See if you agree.  I mentioned in my blog while I was in India that what always strikes me when I'm there is how completely desperate the women there are for God.  When they ask you to pray for them, they prize those prayers as if they were the highest payment, the most valuable gem in the world.  When they pray together (something we often feel uncomfortable doing here, or at least don't typically practice regularly), there it sounds like stepping out of a soundproof booth into a sports arena.  It's deafening. 

We aren't desperate for God here.  We barely need him.  At least we act like we don't.  We certainly aren't without struggles, though.  We all face them.  Our lives seem to be about trying to get through the latest turmoil or trying to get ahead financially.  "If I can just hang in there until this is over, then I can rest."  Or "If we can make it til the end of the year bonus, we can pay off these debts."  But we always want more.  We're seldom satisfied.  Enough is never enough.  Too much is not even enough!  We aren't always the happiest people around either.  We are depressed, overworked, exhausted, angry whiners and complainers.  I mean we cover it well, of course.  We don't want people to KNOW we're depressed, angry whiners and complainers.  (Being overworked and exhausted seems to be OK for people to know.)  And we do pray about these things.  We go to therapy or a financial counselor.  We read books and go to Bible Studies and seminars.  And sometimes we find some help.  Mostly though, it seems we find new ways to cope.  New strategies to try.  New ways of looking at things.  And therapy can be good!  Financial counseling can be good!  Bible Studies and seminars and books can be good!  We actually need all the help we can get, right?

I am a trained as a Christian Counselor and I believe strongly in emotional and mental health, and I know that God uses many means for our help and healing. Absolutely He uses therapy and books and seminars and His word and nature and conversations with friends, and a host of other ways to speak to us and guide us. But why aren't there more endings to problems? Why aren't there more people being set free? Why aren't we experiencing more real and lasting change? Where in my life does God desire more for me than for me to just "feeling my feelings" when I am troubled and I automatically turn to other means of coping?

So here's the thing.  If the God we serve is the Healer and the Counselor, why do we continue to stay more wrapped up in our problems and our sicknesses than we are about what HE wants for our lives?  Or put another way; Where is the healing?  Where is the help?  Addictions are growing at a faster rate, affecting a greater and more diverse cross-section of our world than ever before.  More marriages are breaking up than ever before.  More children are left to bear the scars into adulthood of their unstable families of origin than ever before.  And we are Christians!  Where is God in our lives?  Where is His changing power?  How is He making a difference?  How are our lives any different than those who don't profess a relationship with God? 

I like the phrase "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven."  It's so true.  We certainly are far from perfect.  But it can also be a cop-out that means, don't judge me me, don't hold me to any standard, don't watch my life, don't expect anything from me.   So my new favorite phrase is "Beggars showing other beggars where to find Bread" (differing opinions on sourcing that one,  often incorrectly attributed to Martin Luther, possibly D.T. Niles; so I'm going with Anonymous.) 

I love that I came to a place where I realized, although I was raised with an unspoken "Us" vs. "Them" mentality, that we are ALL "Them"!  We are all beggars!  We are all hopelessly lost in our sins, our struggles, our addictions, our pride, and ourselves, really.  Of course I have capitalized the B in 'Bread' to mean the Living Christ, the Bread of Life, the only true nourishment for our souls and our lives and our problems.  The only One out there who can actually SAVE us from ourselves and our messed up ways.  And I have changed the 'telling' to 'showing', because I like the idea of walking alongside someone and bringing them to the One who is the answer for all their problems.  I am, after all, a counselor, who should be walking alongside, not merely telling.  "Beggars showing other beggars where to find Bread".  Awesome.

But even with that being my favorite phrase and something to aspire to, it doesn't seem we are as desperate as beggars.  It doesn't seem the Bread is really filling and really nourishing us when we do find it.  Perhaps it is difficult for me to see it since I, and many of my friends, have been raised in the church, and our lives haven't been dramatically changed.  I've loved Jesus for as long as I can remember.  But shouldn't that be all the more reason to know how desperate I am for him?  How desperate my life would be without Him?  Wouldn't I be a pro by now at having Him help me with my struggles?  Shouldn't there BE a difference in my life? 



So I have begun praying for God to show me where I am desperate for Him.  "Where do I need you most, God, and don't even know it?"  Where is it that my soul hungers and thirsts for you?"  "Where am I filling myself with busyness or pride or folly or food or apathy instead of coming to you and letting you fill me?" 

I'll let you know what He says.  Maybe.

 



1 comment:

Lyn Wittman said...

Paula, I totally agree! Why do we not seek out God FIRST? We should turn to Him at the beginning of all we do, and at the end. We should praise His name when we wake, ask Him to direct our day, check in with Him throughout the day, and then thank Him for all He has did for us during the course of the day... and ask for forgiveness for any transgressions we might have committed along the way.

I believe our nation's spiritual decline coincides with the industrial revolution over the last several decades. We have become a 'microwave society'. We want things now... Our meals go from freezer to microwave to the dinner table in less than 20 minutes. Sure, it tastes like cardboard, but it fills the stomach and quiets the hunger pains for a while.

But that's not what God wants to do for us -- He wants to fill us up abundantly, with Joy, Hope, Peace -- everything we need to prosper and live a good life. Yes, bad things happen, but when we turn to Him first, He grants us mercy and grace to get through all situations.

I love my microwave for cooking, for as for my relationship with God, I'll keep it in the kitchen. I'd rather think of Him as the air I breathe - I can't do without it, just like I can't do without Him!